Thursday, June 5, 2008

Zooma, Oreos, Wine, and Food Babies


Erin's computer is all jacked up so I can't post pictures yet. So, here is my race report.

I left my house on Saturday morning late. That's because I couldn't sleep on Friday night due to hot flashes and when I woke up on Saturday I said, "Really. What is the hurry?"

I finally left around 0830 and got on the road. I had to stop by the office and drop off some paperwork and then I needed to go to Petersburg for a few things.

Got to Petersburg to pick up Shannon's bib out of her mailbox because she couldn't go and I figured Erin could get the free food and wine and massages and stuff, ya know? I went to get gas and finally got on the road to Richmond.

Picked up Erin and we were on the go! We stopped in Ashland at Denny's. This Denny's reminded me of the restaurant in Pulp Fiction at the beginning when the dude and his HunnyBunny attempted to shoot up the place before Samuel L. Jackson made them give him back his BADASS MUTHAFUCKA wallet.

Then, we were back on the road. Me, Erin, and Saffron (aka Saffie, my GPS with the British accent) made it to Annapolis waaaaaaay to early to check into the hotel. So, what did we do? We asked Saffie to take us to the movie theater.

We couldn't have timed it better. The movie started at 1300. It was 1255. Awesome! We got some water and I got a cherry Icee and we went into the movie theater which was PACKED with women. Some men. It was dark because the previews were showing and it was so full of people I didn't know if we were gonna find seats but we did.

We could hear the thunder outside while we were in the movie and guess what happened. Of course. The power went out. Twice. During the movie. At this point I am starting to freak because I want to get to the hotel and get a shower and make sure we get to dinner on time to meet Donut, Ames, and Feenicks.

The movie was really good. I forgot how much I missed those 4 girls. I absolutely loved that show. Which reminds me, I can't find the case for my Season 1 DVD. I watched the first disc one night while drinking wine and now I do not know where I put the case with the other discs in it. Note to self: Must find that.

The movie was a little predictable, I have to say. But I still really liked it. My hubby wants to see it. He was a little upset that I went without him so we now have a date in the near future to go see it again, which I do not mind.

Once the move finished, we went to the hotel. Guess what? We couldn't check in yet because they had also had a power outage and the rooms weren't ready yet. So, we sat in the lobby for a while and I started to get even more antsy. I needed a shower and I wanted to make sure I found the restaurant that we were going to that evening.

Fastforward to the dinner with my friends: It was awesome. The food was great, we had a little wine, great conversation, and I just thoroughly enjoyed myself.

My impressions of my friends:

Donut is a caring, sweet mom who is also cool and witty. I really enjoyed her company. She made me feel really comfortable. Her kids are beautiful, her husband is really nice and attentive and sweet, and again, she is just a all around cool person. She has a sarcastic sense of humor and I love that.

Feenicks cracks me up. If she and I lived closer I think we would definitely hang out, which I would with all of them, but she cracked me and Erin up. I got the impression that she says what she thinks but she's not all mean about it. She seems Bohemian to me and I really like that. I laughed at Erin talking about Feenicks on the shuttle full of kids going to the finish line. Erin said Feenicks kept cursing and then saying, "SORRY!" after each curse word while the Dads were trying to wrangle their kids to go meet their wives at the end of the race. Hilarious.

Ames seems quiet but funny. She throws zingers out there. She seems no-nonsense but I can tell that there's a spark to her that I really like. She has a sweet smile and she's so fun to talk to. She ran her ass off, by the way, which I will get to in a bit.

After dinner, we went to the hotel and went to sleep. Or, I tried anyway. I had hot flashes all night and didn't sleep well. When we got up the next morning at 0515I started the, "What am I doing? Why am I doing this? Do I have to poop? Am I sure? Do I have to poop?" You know. The usual pre-race psychosis.

Got to the stadium. Look at all these women! Wait, there are men running too? Oh no. Hubby's gonna be mad. He wanted to come. Oh well, we all need a girl's weekend every now and then, right? Oh, here come Ames and Donut! We have matching shirts! Why am I doing this again?

We take off. The first mile is not bad. The second mile is not bad. Okay. Here comes mile three and I think I'm going to die at this point. I do not want to walk any of this. I did not walk any of the last two 10Ks that I did. I. Will. Not. Walk. Any. Of. This. Oh shit, look at that bridge.

The bridge was a torture device on my legs but I ran that whole bastard.

After that, I felt like I was done for. Done for. I pussed out a bit on the next few hills. I walked some of those. My legs felt like they were going to fall off.

Who are these people running the other way? Why are they running the other way?

Mile four: I get to the U-turn for the 10Kers only. I make the U-turn. In a bit, I pass Ames and she is BOOKIN' IT. Go girl. She looked like she wanted to punch somebody in the damn face but she was runnin' like Forrest.

Mile five. I'm good. Mile six. I'm good. It's always like this. I feel like I'm floating at this point. Why can't the whole race be like this?

Finish line! There's Feenicks and Erin! Wait, that lady with the microphone just said my name! I look at her and laugh and she says, "Yeah, we're here for you, girl!" and the crowd claps and cheers.

This is awesome.

Now I'm tired.

We hung out at the Expo for a while. We had a lunch that consisted of wine, Oreos, a turkey sandwich, an apple (which I gave to one of Donut's little sweeties), and some yogurt I didn't want.

I didn't buy anything. I didn't see anything I couldn't live without. I wanted a massage but it was gonna be an hour or so and I didn't see anything that could captivate my attention for that amount of time after running 6.2 miles.

Stopped on the way to the hotel for some wine, got to the hotel, took a shower and nap while Erin ran on the treadmill, took a shower and a nap, etc.

We went out to dinner that night. We both had the crabcake sandwich, oysters, and ice cream. I think this was a mistake.

I had hot flashes that night and threw up. We were asleep by 8pm. WOOT! GIRL's WEEKEND! Not. I have slight memories of Erin waking me up to drink water and putting cold clothes on my face and neck.

On the way home the next day, the three-hour trip took over five hours because I had food babies that were screaming to get out. Erin ended up having to drive, she bought me Immodium and Gatorade, and we had to stop like five times.

Once I got home, which seemed to take forever, Erin called to say that she was now having food babies too.

All in all, it was a good trip. But wow.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Great report Jen!

LOL at the pre-race psychosis. So true.

Jen said...

I love your descriptions of all the girls! I feel like I know 'em now too.

Love the race report! I'll say it again.. you gals did awesome!

Julia said...

Jen, I'm LMAO - I forgot about the cussing thing. I told Amy since I wasn't at home, my goal was to cuss as much as possible over the weekend. On the bus, everytime I did, there were all these sweet & innocent little faces looking back at me.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Great report.

I do that pre-race thing too!

Tammy said...

Great report!
I loved your description of the other girls.

I saw SATC over the weekend too. I missed those four! But, I'm a lil shocked that your husband would want to see it. My friend told her man that he couldn't go with her, it's for chicks!

Delane said...

Great Race Report.. you all look fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I am all perklempt. You are too sweet. Except you called me a mom. You didnt Amy a mom, I would like to point out. Though maybe that was b/c her spawn were not there, following her around. :) So I will let that slide.





*giggle*

Really - great race report. I am glad I am not the only one that psyches herself out before a race!!!

Carly said...

Great race report! I am jealous of the F2F hookups.

You guys did great.

Anonymous said...

Oh.My.God. This shit has me laughing like a crazed lunatic over here! Too funny.