Sunday, June 22, 2008

"Only"

I'm tired of doing this to myself....

"I only ran 2.2 miles today." Only?

"I only worked out 6 days this week." Only?

"I only ran 14 miles this week instead of the 17 I had planned." Only?

I mean, what the hell is up with that? I used to not be able to run at all. I used to walk every other day and call that working out. Not that it isn't, but to me, after what I've trained myself to do, that is not working out. Not to me. Just to me. Don't get all wound up if you're reading this and you walk as exercise.

Why are we so mean to ourselves? Why are we so critical? So judgmental? So degrading? To ourselves. We are all we have. If I don't take up for myself, no one else will. If I don't believe in myself, no one else will.

"Only". It's only a word.

9 comments:

Viv said...

Great post Jen it really spoke to me especially today.

Amy said...

That is so true. I do that to myself too, but I'm now able to remind myself that I barely got off the couch a year ago!

We really need to be as kind to ourselves as we are to our friends, family, etc.

paige said...

It's like my therapist once told me...

If your best friend told you, " I ran 2.2 miles." would you then, knowing how hard and how much progress she has made, turn around and say, " you suck."

Of course not! We all have to learn to be our own best friend and how to be self lifting rather than self condemning. Easy to say but HARD to do.

I puffy heart my therapist by the way.

Next time you're tempted to say that to yourself stop and think...what would my best friend say?

You only feel silly the first couple of times...I promise!

Delane said...

I'm right there with ya today!

Amy said...

I thought of you and this post this morning. After my run, DS came down and asked how many miles I ran. I started to say only 2, but stopped myself. Hell, I could have just stayed in bed.

Anonymous said...

So true Jen, so true.

Like yesterday, I *only* ran 1.7 miles on an injury.

ONLY 1.7 with a bum leg. lmao now at how silly it sounds...

Tammy said...

Wow. That is so true. I do this to myself, constantly!

Anonymous said...

Great post.
Thanks Jen.

Carly said...

This is such a great post! I beat myself up with the "onlies" all the time. It doesn't do any good, but I still do it.